Among users, the first comprehensive basic work in physiotherapy is known as the "Brick of Physiotherapy" due to its format and weight. On approximately 1,700 pages, all examination techniques and assessment procedures, therapy means and concepts as well as decision-making options in all medical disciplines essential for physiotherapy as well as the related sciences were listed.
The now published 2nd edition of HANDBUCH PHYSIOTHERAPIE meets the requirements of being comprehensive, up-to-date, evidence-based and practical. The editorial team, consisting of Prof. Dr. Claudia Winkelmann, Andreas Alt, Verena Gesing (all physiotherapists) and Dr. Bernd Kolster (physician), has worked together with over 100 authors.
The experts in physiotherapy, medicine and other subjects, such as the social sciences, have profoundly revised or supplemented the existing chapters. Some chapters are completely new. The evidence and guidelines for physiotherapeutic interventions have been critically reviewed and updated. In the future, they will be accessible via the QR code, as will the literature. This facilitates database maintenance, is reader friendly and the KVM publishing house is thus breaking new, even more sustainable ground.
1,760 pages carry weight
The publishing team is pleased with the nickname "Brick of Physiotherapy". Because indeed it was the goal to create with the HANDBOOK PHYSIOTHERAPIE a basis for all, which contribute with Physiotherapie to optimal health care. In this respect, the HANDBOOK PHYSIOTHERAPIE is a building block for training, study, practice and teaching in physical therapy and has content weight.
The top ten innovations are:
- Online evidence: always up-to-date and retrievable through QR codes.
- State of the art: physiotherapeutic interventions based on currently available external evidence and guidelines
- Completion of the clinical pictures in neurology: headache syndromes (migraine and cluster headache) with basics, physiotherapeutic interventions and current evidence
- Completed clinical pictures in orthopedics and rheumatology
- Extension of clinical tests in orthopedic physiotherapy
- Increased practical relevance: inclusion of case studies, detailed instructions for the use of walking aids, training guidelines for heart transplantation/artificial heart implantation, interweaving of research and application of haptic skills, etc.
- New: chapter on quality management in rehabilitation (background knowledge, rehabilitation therapy standards of special clinical pictures)
- First aid: life-saving immediate measures and emergency management in special situations
- Basic principles of occupational health management and presentation of potential new fields of work for physical therapists
- Technical orthopedics: comprehensive update and supplement on aids such as motor-driven movement splints, standing aids, bandages and on new technical developments such as exoskeletons.
The editorial team included a new member for the 2nd edition of HANDBUCH PHYSIOTHERAPIE Anna Heller has left the 1st edition team to focus on her author role. Andreas Alt has joined the team. He is a physiotherapist and doctoral student in human sciences with a focus on physiotherapy at the University of Lübeck; lives and works in Switzerland.
Prof. Dr. Claudia Winkelmann, ASH Berlin
https://diefachwelt.de/Handbuch-Physiotherapie_1 38.50 Euro ISBN 978-3-86867-647-1